2011年6月8日星期三

Former Purdue star hopes to prove versatility to NBA


Is E'Twaun Moore an NBA point guard? Is he a shooting guard? Or, how about a combo guard?

That's what the No. 3 scorer in Purdue history is attempting to help NBA scouts determine during a whirlwind tour of workouts that included Tuesday afternoon's stop in Conseco Fieldhouse.

With team president Larry Bird and six other club officials looking on, Moore worked out for the Indiana Pacers along with Butler's Matt Howard, Wisconsin's Jon Leuer, Bradley's Andrew Warren, Washington State's Klay Thompson and Providence's Marshon Brooks.

Most NBA mock drafts have the 6-foot-4, 180-pound Moore being selected in the late second round or signing as a free agent.

He has spent the past several weeks working out in Chicago along with Leuer, each a client of agent Mark Bartelstein.

Moore also has had workouts in San Antonio, Houston, Miami and Minnesota.

"First and foremost, I want to show that I'm a competitor and that I play hard," Moore said after Tuesday's session during which he played the point. "I want them to know I will play defense first. I think that's something that any team can use.

"It's good to be somewhere you're familiar like Indy. We've practiced here a couple of times and we've played here. I'm in a different city almost every day. It's kind of crazy traveling. JaJuan (Johnson) and I talk almost every day."

Having scored more than 2,000 points at Purdue, Moore has shown NBA scouts that he can put the ball in the basket.

But he knows they are looking for more.

"Most want to see if I'm a combo guard ... that guy that can guard point guards and shooting guards," Moore said. "I want to make sure I have my ball-handling skills so that I can show I can play point guard and knock down open shots.

"If you just put yourself in one position, you may not be able to get on the court. I want to leave all of my options open and be able to play multiple positions."

With the draft set for June 23, Moore acknowledges this is a nervous time.

"You get a little more anxious," Moore said. "You count down the days. It's a great feeling to have."
Leuer played against Moore during the past four seasons and likes the former Boilermaker's chances of being selected.

"I know E'Twaun's game, and I know JaJuan's game, so this is fun," Leuer said. "I've been working out with E'Twaun the past couple of weeks in Chicago. It has been good to have that Big Ten familiarity. He has the complete package."

The workout brought back fond memories for Howard, who teamed with Moore on the 2007 Indiana All-Star team that included Eric Gordon, Jeff Teague, Robbie Hummel, Scott Martin and Johnson.

"That was a great team and a great group of guys," Howard said. "That made it even more fun. We had Jeff Teague, an NBA player, coming off the bench. And with E'Twaun and JaJuan, we had great guys."

Moore and Howard also participated in the same workout recently for the Miami Heat.

"E'Twaun absolutely has a chance," Howard said. "He is a great scorer. He plays the game really hard. There's no question he will find a place."

NBA rules prohibit team officials from discussing individual prospects before the draft date.

没有评论:

发表评论